Everybody loves French Toast, right? I know I do. But today I wanted French Toast and I wanted a bagel.
Now basically every single person that knows me, knows I already get anxiety from the thought of having to make a choice, haha. So I just decided to combine the two! Ladies and gents, I present you: My Bagel French Toast.
These are just the right amount of moist (I’m sorry, I just had to use that word) on the inside and crispy on the outside. And the taste.. guys, I’m simply speechless if I can say so myself.
- 2 cups soy milk
- 3 tbsps (ground) flax seeds
- 2 tbsps coconut sugar
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 bagels (the older the better)
- Mix all the ingredients (except the bagels) in a shallow bowl and place the bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes so you can allow the flax seeds to activate.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and grease with 1 tsp of coconut oil (if desired, it’ll make the outside a bit crispier).
- Slice the bagels into 2 halves and allow each half to soak in the milk mixture for about 20 minutes on each side.
- Place each half in the pan and cook until golden brown, then flip. Continue to cook the other side for approx 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Repeat this step for all the halves.
- Finish off by topping your bagels with desired toppings.
Text, recipe and photo: Celine Liya