Today we wanted to have a look at sacred spaces. Which mean something else to everybody. It can be just a few candles, sandalwood incense, beautiful tones of dark wood, earthly colours, lots of candles or images of the buddha. Do you have a sacred space back at home? And what makes it sacred for you?
Which such busy lives we sometimes forget how important it is to take a step back, tune in on our yin and more quiet energy to calm and heal ourselves again. Outside we don’t have the power to control the noise, but at home we do. A sacred space with meaningful items that have much value to us can help us finding balance again, so you can invite yourself to go into your deeper self.
This is how to create a sacred space in seven easy steps:
1. Decide what ‘sacred’ means to you. What is it that you want to create?
2. Find out what particular spot in your house or apartment (or even in the garden) you can turn into a sacred space. It’s better not to switch and be pretty decisive about this, so it really becomes your own.
3. Declutter! You can’t create a peaceful room with a lot of mess around you. So make sure the space is empty (which help you focus and literally brings space into your mind and body) and clean.
4. Clear and purify! This is very important before you begin any ritual or ceremony. You can do so by smudging with sage or other herbs. Use a bowl of sea salt and sprinkle it around. You should re-cleanse this area each time you begin a ritual or use of this space.
5. Design your sacred space with meaningful and inspirational items. Choose what tastes, sounds, smells, looks and feels good to you and what makes you happy and comfortable. Like candles, incense, certain colours, cushions, gemstones, images, jewellery etc. Even seashells will do.
6. Make your own ritual. What are you planning to do in this sacred space? Meditate? Practice yoga? Exploring the different mudras? Singing your mantra’s? Reflect on your life?
7. Use your intuition. It will tell you what to do or what it is that you need right now. Perhaps earthy tones is not a good option and you should opt for pastels or only white colours. Perhaps it’s only five minutes of meditation in the morning or singing mantra’s for a few minutes instead of practicing your yoga. And it can change every time. Your gutt will give you all this information, so don’t be afraid to listen to it. Honor your heart’s desires.
via wonen online
via style and create
via style and create
Main image source: via The Decorista