Bamboo is not just a panda’s favorite food and a strong building material, but also a great choice for clothing. Everywhere we look, we start seeing more and more clothes made from bamboo – and we love it. If you are looking for a sustainable fabric that is good for you and our planet, bamboo is your best bet. Read on to learn more about the advantages of bamboo and where to find your new favorite bamboo yoga wear.
5 Benefits of Bamboo Clothing
Before you ask what the fluffy pandas will have left to eat if we all start wearing yogawear made from bamboo – don’t worry! There are approximately 1500 different types of bamboo. Pandas like to stay close to the ground and eat the leaves of smaller bamboo trees. Clothing and building material is made from bamboo types that grow as high as 25 meters. The pandas are okay :-) So let’s see, why is bamboo a great choice for clothing material?
- Bamboo is sustainable. Bamboo plants grow incredibly fast and need hardly any taking care of. They thrive on sunlight and are among the fastest growing plants on earth. Their long roots keep the soil strong and waterlevels steady. Plus, cutting down a “mother plant” actually helps it grow faster and build new stems.
- Bamboo is eco-friendly. The bamboo trees don’t just grow faster, they also need a lot less water than cotton to grow. Fabrics made from bamboo also need less water later on in the process. When the fabric is dyed, it takes color much easier than cotton and other fabrics. This means that less water and chemicals are needed to make beautifully colored clothes. And speaking of chemicals, did we mention that bamboo does not require fertilizer or pesticides to grow nice and tall?
- Bamboo is a natural alternative to regular active wear. Most active wear is made from synthetic material like polyester to make it stretchy and dry-fit. The problem: every time you wash synthetic clothing, microplastics are released into our environment. You can learn more about why that’s a problem here. Bamboo is a great natural alternative and actually works even better than synthetic active wear. The material keeps you warm in the winter, but cool in the summer – or generally, when you are warm. It carries moisture away from your body, so you are not soaked in sweat during a workout or hot yoga session. And to top it all of, bamboo has anti-bacterial properties: no more old sweat smell in your gym clothes. Yay!
- Bamboo is good for you. As you already know, bamboo trees don’t need pesticides to grow properly. This means that you will have less toxins on your skin later on. Apart from that, bamboo clothing is a great choice for people with sensitive skin or allergies: bamboo naturally has hypo-allergenic properties.
- It looks fantastic! ;-) If you are still not convinced that you want more bamboo in your life, have a look at our active wear line. The fabric is incredibly soft, almost silky. But don’t be fooled by its shiny look – it’s a strong and sturdy material. This gives leggings like our high-waist Satya leggings a beautiful shaping effect.
There you have it. Bamboo is a great choice if you are looking for sustainable clothing and alternatives to synthetic fabrics. As long as we don’t start chopping down other trees to make space for bamboo… that would defeat the purpose of this sustainable wonderplant :-)